Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Granny Power.


I've been making these poaches out of fabric samples I dyed back in school. These are the two prototypes I've made for my own use.  The green one I made while I was still in Ontario and have been toting around with me ever since, its just the right size to keep a knitting or embroidery project from tangling up in my Fieldguided tote that i'm currently inseparable from. 


The pink one is newer and made larger specifically to fit even my largest text book so that i can lug it around without worry of getting the covers bent or dirty. The fabric on that one is dip dyed, a process which I vastly under rated while i was in school and never returned to it after we learnt it. But with the growing amount of skilled hand dyeing out there in the crafting world its exciting to get back into doing something that is so simple and immediately rewarding.


Working in our living room all day makes me so happy. I'm surrounded by the incredible fusion of my roomie's and my most prized possessions. This almost 3x4' poster was made by Allyson Mitchell for a group show i curated while she was putting up her own work at the Khyber. I had the nerve to ask if i could keep it after my show was threw! I'm so glad I did. It's made of MAC TAC and has Sasquatch women on it!! Coming home to Halifax this was one of the things I was the most excited to liberate from stuffy packing and add to the glory that is our modern-granny living-room.




1 comment:

  1. I was just reading through blogs by Crafters and came across this post. I got to help Allyson Mitchell get ready for that show at the Khyber and she gave me some of her leftover MAC TAC - so I have those three patterns still kicking around at home.

    ReplyDelete