Thursday, March 25, 2010

Home again, home again......

Here I am again in Halifax in one of the guest rooms of the house I grew up in. Which  just happens to be close to the Ardmore Tea room where you can get the best and biggest milk shake ever. Yum. 

Thinking, over the past week, about visiting home got me very exited to write about the amazing community events and crafters of Halifax who seem to be able to do anything at all despite city guidelines and little funding. The D.I.Y movement culminates in cities like this where you have no need to "network" to find people to help you with an idea - chances are you'll meet who ever you need to get in touch with over coffee because they go to the same place that you do anyway. While not in existence now the Burrito Bike ($4 delicious burritos delivered to you by friendly cyclists until 2 a.m. on saturday nights) was hard to tear myself away from when I decided to move to Hamilton.

Things I am so exited to be doing while here are:

Have a sandwich at the Good Food Emporium
Visit Turnstile pottery Co-op to find the perfect tiny mug By Bethany Buttersworth.
get blown away by the ocean breeze
Share a "hobo" jug worth of Propeller beer
and - if I have time - have a pint of oatmeal stout, the best stout in the world, at the Henry House....which is worth the extra trek now that the Granite and Ginger's are no longer.
Also to buy a new camera so that I can document all the amazing things and people while I'm here!


for now I'll leave you with this image of the Zine Library collection......a great idea that started in a living room to give the eager public access to an amazing array of alternative literature.....This then blossomed over the years into The Robert Street Social Center - taking over an entire house now devoted solely to the community. It is home to the Anchor Zine Archive, Ink Storm screen printing co-op, a successful residency program and an affordable and wonderfully equipped venue that welcomes all manor of events.


One can hardly express enough love for ventures such as this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment