Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Golden Rod from Needham Park.

When i drove from Ontario to Nova Scotia I could see the goldenrod along the highway as it seemed to pass through seasons from summers bright early blooms to falls fading flowers as we got closer to the coast. When i arrived and talked to a few wild flower enthusiasts I found that it had bloomed early and quickly went out to gather what little i could salvage before it was gone entirely.

 I don't know if it was the lackluster blooms or the silks less absorbent qualities but the resulting dye bath was a soft yellow green this time rather than the bright limes i've gotten used to.

but it was beautiful none the less and as always it's part of the magic of natural dying. It might also be that part of the universe that is trying to finally tell me to reign in the bright colors and temper my pallet.



I did a few simple post mordant tests but in the end stuck with the muted yellow-green for the main silk piece. It will likely become a scarf with a simple rolled edge. 




No comments:

Post a Comment